The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, May 2013
Master of Science in Information Studies
Concentration: Archival Enterprise
University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, May 2011
Master of Arts in History
Concentrations: 20th-Century America, Colonial and Revolutionary America, History of Sexuality
Thesis: “Out of the Closets and Onto the Campus: The Politics of Coming Out at Florida Atlantic University, 1972-1977”
Willamette University, Salem, OR, May 2008
Bachelor of Arts in Archaeology
University Libraries, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian (Librarian Assistant Professor), Jan 2015 – Present
• Create, edit, review, and transform metadata for the Libraries’ unique digital resources, with the goal of aiding discovery and access
• Develop, evaluate, and implement metadata policies, standards, and workflows
• Lead digital metadata creation team, including training and quality control of staff work
• Manage ingestion of materials to and participate in local maintenance of CONTENTdm digital repository
• Transform existing MARC-based bibliographic records for use as Dublin Core records
• Co-led a project to enhance rights statements in digital collections: analyzed copyright status of all existing items, developed local policy and workflows, and added RightsStatements.org URIs to all item records
• Participated in the creation of the Sunshine State Digital Network, a Florida hub for the Digital Public Library of America. Mapped local metadata to DPLA requirements and prepared metadata for ingest to DPLA. Serve as metadata manager for regional sub-hub, coordinating with partner institutions to harvest metadata and prepare for contribution to DPLA.
• Perform outreach and engage in collaborative projects throughout the Libraries and the university to enhance and broaden metadata operations
• Create original catalog records for monographic resources
• Contribute original name authority records to PCC NACO
Primo Technical Administrator, July 2016 – Present
• Serve as Technical Administrator for discovery interface used by all libraries at the University of Miami, including administratively separate School of Law library
• Manage data harvesting and normalization for all data sources, including Alma ILS, institutional repository, CONTENTdm digital repository, and AtoM finding aids platform
• Coordinate with cataloging staff, liaison librarians, and distinctive collections staff to ensure that display meets users’ needs
• Work closely with systems staff and developers on maintenance and new features
• Led user testing of discovery system during implementation phase, Spring 2016
• Coordinate creation and roll-out of new user interface to launch summer 2018
University Library, St. Thomas University, Miami Gardens, FL
Metadata Librarian, Sept. 2013 – Dec. 2014
• Managed cataloging and classification of library materials, both physical and digital, including copy cataloging, original cataloging, and catalog maintenance
• Evaluated and enhanced metadata acquired from vendors to ensure accessibility of electronic materials through the library’s catalog
• Implemented use of RDA for all original cataloging done at St. Thomas, and trained other librarians on expected changes to the library’s ILS and catalog
• Established local standards for classification and shelving of DVD collection, archival finding aids, and digitization metadata
• Coordinated participation in Federal Depository Libraries Program (FDLP), including processing and cataloging, shelf maintenance, and ensuring compliance with FDLP regulations
• Evaluated and revised signage in the library building as a member of the library’s User Experience Design Committee
• Supervised and trained 2-3 undergraduate student assistants
Austin Seminary Archives, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Austin, TX
Professional Experience Project Intern, Jan. 2013 – May 2013
• Assessed feasibility of digitizing audio materials, primarily reel-to-reel and cassette tapes, to provide access
• Explored integration of archival audio material into library’s existing iTunesU distribution channel
• Developed selection criteria, metadata and storage requirements, and workflows
To read more about this project, click here.
Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, Austin, TX
Archival Intern, Archives of American Mathematics, Aug. 2012 – July 2013
• Processed more than 16 collections and accruals, ranging from 1 inch to 11 feet, including rehousing materials, writing finding aids, and encoding EAD and MARC records
• Performed collection-wide update project to reformat and standardize over 100 finding aids
To view a sample of finding aids I created in this position, click here, here, and here.
National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
Archives Intern, Paper Archives, June – Aug. 2012
• Participated in a multi-year project to arrange, describe, and preserve a large collection of the National Congress of the American Indian records (approx. 150 linear feet)
• Ensured continuity and consistency between several years’ worth of processed records
• Converted legacy finding aid for the collection and input into Archivists’ Toolkit
Laura Capell & Elliot Williams. (In revision) “Implementing RightsStatements.Org at the University of Miami Libraries.”
Laura Capell & Elliot Williams. “Assigning Rights Statements to Legacy Digital Collections,” (Poster Abstract) In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Digital Preservation, Bern, Switzerland, October 3-6, 2016.
Paige Morgan, Elliot Williams, & Laura Capell. “Collections as Data Facet #7: La Gaceta de La Habana,” In Collections as Data Facets, 2017.
Elliot Williams. “MARCing Time.” Personal blog project exploring the history of the MARC formats. 2018 (ongoing).
Elliot Williams. “Metadata for Digital Libraries.” Half-day in-person workshop. Southwest Florida Library Network (SWFLN). August 9, 2018 (scheduled).
Elliot Williams. “Digitization Series: Metadata.” Webinar. Southeast Florida Library and Information Network (SEFLIN). May 9, 2018.
Elliot Williams. “NuSearch: New Primo user interface at University of Miami Libraries.” UML Library Learning Forum, Miami, FL, April 30, 2018.
Elliot Williams & Carolina Meneses. “Creating metadata with the community: user comments in the Ruston Academy digital collection.” Poster session. SEFLIN Regional Conference, Miami, FL, July 27, 2017.
Laura Capell & Elliot Williams. “Implementing RightStatements.org at the University of Miami Libraries.” Webinar. Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL), May 17, 2017.
Emily Gore, Molly Huber, Brandy Karl, Nicole Lawrence, Hannah Stitzlien, Elliot Williams, & Micah Zeller. “Turn the Rights On: A RightsStatements.org Update and Comparison of Regional Rights Standardization Projects.” DPLAfest, Chicago, IL, April 20-21, 2017. (Linked slides are for my portion of presentation only.)
Laura Capell & Elliot Williams. “Clarifying Copyright: Applying Rightsstatements.org to Legacy Digital Collections.” DLF Forum, Milwaukee, WI, November 7-9, 2016.
Laura Capell & Elliot Williams. “Increasing Digital Collection Usability by Evaluating Copyright.” UML Library Learning Forum, Miami, FL, September 1, 2016.
Laura Capell & Elliot Williams. “Assigning Rights Statements to Legacy Digital Collections.” Poster Session. Rare Books and Manuscript Section (RBMS) Annual Conference, Coral Gables, FL, June 21-24, 2016.
Elliot Williams. “Automating the Community: MARC Community Information Format and Changing Libraries in the 1990s.” Library History Seminar XIII, Boston, MA, July 31-August 2, 2015.
Elliot Williams. “Audio Digitization Planning in a Small Archives.” Poster Session. Society of American Archives (SAA) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, August 11-17, 2013.
Elliot Williams. “Web Archiving for University Records.” Society of Southwest Archivists (SSA) Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, May 22-25, 2013,
Cataloging/Metadata Standards: MARC 21, RDA and LC-PCC PS, DCRM, Dublin Core, EAD, DACS, LCSH, LCNAF, LC Classification, AAT, TGM, OAI-PMH
Software: OCLC Connexion, Ex Libris Alma and Primo, Innovative Millennium, OCLC WorldShare Management Services, OCLC CONTENTdm, bepress Digital Commons, Repox, MarcEdit, OpenRefine, Excel
Programming languages: XSLT (beginner), VBA (beginner), Python (beginner)
Languages: Spanish (beginner); Experience cataloging in a variety of language and scripts
DLF eResearch Network, 2018
“Introduction to Linked Data,” Library Juice Academy online course, 2017
“Introduction to the Semantic Web,” Library Juice Academy online course, 2017
“DPLA Data Quality Bootcamp,” one-day workshop at DPLAfest, Chicago, 2017
“Demystifying Digital Humanities: Data Wrangling,” two-day workshop at University of Miami Libraries, 2016
“Transforming and Querying XML with XSLT and XQuery,” Library Juice Academy online course, 2015
Metadata Working Group, Sunshine State Digital Network, Chair, 2018-
Working Group on Labor in Digital Libraries, Digital Library Federation, Member, 2017-
Judith Beale Scholarship Committee, Society of Florida Archivists, Member, 2016
Annual Conference Local Information Committee, New Members Round Table, American Library Association, Member, 2015-2016
Cataloging Discussion Group, Southeast Florida Library Information Network, Coordinator, 2014-2016
Exhibit Advisory Committee, “Miami’s LGBT History” (working title), HistoryMiami Museum, 2018-
University of Miami
Undergraduate LGBTQ-Ally Mentorship Program, 2016-
Member, Cataloging & Metadata Librarian (Database Management Specialist) search committee, Member, 2017
Digital Application Development Librarian search committee, Member, 2017
Digital Collections Application working group, Member, 2017-
Website Redesign Advisory Team, Member, 2017-
Digital Production Manager search committee, Member, 2017-
Digitization Grant Project Manager search committee, Member, 2016
Ex Libris Coordinating Council, Member, 2016-
Faculty Orientation Committee, Member, 2016-2017, Co-chair, 2017-2018
Primo Working Group, Member, 2016-
Digital Collections Committee, Member, 2015-
Metadata Technician search committee, Member, 2015
User Experience (UX) Team, Member, 2015-2017
American Library Association, 2015-
Society of Florida Archivists, 2013-
Society of American Archivists, 2016-2018